Cinnamon, Spice, & Everything Nice
Leaves crunching under foot, vibrant hues of burnt orange and bright yellow line the streets and storefront windows, hats, gloves and scarves come out of hiding, and the scent of pumpkin and cinnamon spice fills every Starbucks, Bath & Bodyworks, and crowded kitchen. The days are getting shorter, the weather is chilly, and it's time to begin thinking about holiday plans.
As you begin to get invitations from friends, family, and co-workers, the stress that comes with planning, indulging, and dealing with the aftermath starts to set in. Fear not! I've got the perfect recipe to wow your loved ones with--and it's healthier and easier to make than the classic fall favorite--pumpkin pie.
Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. Albert Camus
Fall In Love WIth Whole Foods
Traditional pumpkin pie is made with refined sugar and white flour, both of which cause rapid spikes in blood sugar and are void of any fiber. Two other essential ingredients in the classic version are egg and cream, which are high in unhealthy fats and cholesterol. Removing the animal products from your diet can cut down on your risk for Type 2 diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. Let's look at some plant-based upgrades!
Replacing your pie crust ingredients with nuts and coconut will cut down on saturated fat and give you more heart-healthy, unsaturated fat, and eliminates cholesterol all together. Dates and raisins are fantastic unrefined sweeteners that are packed with fiber, to help stabilize blood sugar. By ditching the unnecessary animal products in the filling, you can amp up the nutrient content by including more whole foods--namely, bananas, dates, and nut milk, and of course, fresh (not canned) pumpkin!
Pumpkin-credible No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
Spice up your holiday season with this crowd-pleasing twist on a fall favorite! Raw foods are full of living enzymes and void of chemicals, fillers, and other processed junk that mucks up our insides. This creamy, smooth, raw vegan pumpkin pie tastes even better than the original, and it's better for you! Indulge in a little slice of whole food heaven and leave your stomach-ache at the door!
raw vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, refined-sugar-free, cholesterol-free, pumpkin-credible!
time: 20 min // serves: 8-10
- 10-12 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup raw, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 4 cups chopped pie pumpkin (peeled & seeded)
- 10-12 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 ripe, speckled banana
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup raw, unsweetened coconut flakes (save for topping)
- Place all crust ingredients in a food processor and process about 1 minute, or until a crumbly texture is achieved.
- Press crust firmly into the bottom and along sides of a 9" pie pan and place in the refrigerator to chill and firm up.
- Place all filling ingredients (except coconut flakes), into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy texture is achieved.
- Using a spatula, pour filling into crust and smooth top. Dust with remaining coconut flakes and place back in the refrigerator for an hour or so to chill and firm up. Slice in and enjoy with family and friends!
- In my YouTube video, I use 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. I halved the ingredients on the blog--I recommend going easy on the spices and giving the filling a taste test. Blend in more spices accordingly.
A Slice of Fall Fashion
Fall means it's time to break out the boots, hats, scarves, and gloves and warm up with hues of navy, bronze, burgundy, and accents of gold. The evenings are getting chilly, and the morning frost has me running back inside to throw on a jacket, but I'm loving the 70-degree, sunny afternoons that leave the option for showing a little leg. Haha!
Below is one of my go-to autumn afternoon picks: A long-sleeved, navy-striped cotton dress with a skinny gold belt, accompanied by a floppy brown hat that I snagged on my last trip to New York, and a pair of tan zip booties.
Maybe I'm biased, but Dusty always looks good in his work clothes, so I couldn't help but snap a photo of him taking the first bite of the pie--after all, I made it for him! A washed out chambray button-up, a broken-in pair of faded navy pants, and scuffed up biker boots are the status quo for this hunk! P.S. I've got him convinced to keep growing his hair out, and I'm eagerly awaiting the first man-bun...which I'm sure I'll be forcing him into letting me try out on him! (I'll be sure to snap a pic when I do!)
SPICE UP YOUR LIFE
Any way you slice it, this pie is pumpkin-credible! I hope that you enjoy this better-tasting, healthier version of a fall classic with family and friends. Finish the year strong by adding some spice to your life--step outside of your comfort zone, say yes, jump in, and try new things!
Don't forget to subscribe to my monthly motivational In The Raw newsletter at the bottom of the website to stay up-to-date! Be sure to check out the EatMoveRest YouTube channel to watch me whip up this delicious recipe! Leave me a comment to let me know how your no-bake pumpkin pie turns out! Share your photos on Instagram with #EatMoveRest.
As Seen On YouTube
For more seasonal recipes, check out these tasty blog posts: