Growing up I was never a pink girl. I was always playing football with my brother and his friends, sitting on the edge of the dock fishing, climbing trees, building forts, and getting my knees dirty. My idea of playing Barbies was dressing my black cat (and best friend), Milo, up in doll clothes and pushing him around in my Barbie minivan that otherwise didn't get used.
Flashing forward, I will say that I'm still somewhat of a tomboy, but I do have my refined side, too! There are a couple of pink items in my closet and I love doing my hair and getting all dolled up from time-to-time (blog post photos included)! Pink isn't just for girls, though...
this bold, bright smoothie recipe will convert anyone to love pink, and it will have you glowing from the inside out!
Be Bold, Like Dragon Fruit
Pitaya, more commonly known as dragon fruit, is one of the most vibrant smoothie ingredients you'll ever use--it's magic!
Aside from it's raw beauty, dragon fruit is ripe with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants:
- Vitamin C strengthens the immune system, combats aging, and promotes glowing skin
- Iron carries oxygen throughout the body
- Magnesium optimizes nerve and muscle function
- Fiber improves digestion and cholesterol and blood pressures levels
- Omega-3 fatty acids (in the seeds) boosts brain function and heart health
Pitaya actually grows on a variety of cactus, and has a mildly sweet flavor, with crunchy, black seeds on the inside, similar to a kiwi. The flesh inside comes in a white and pink variety, and you'll want to use the latter to achieve this glowing, magenta hue.
I rarely come across fresh dragon fruit in the supermarkets, but if I do, it's typically in the winter and early spring. A few months ago, however, I discovered a company called PitayaPlus, that sells frozen, raw, organic pink dragon fruit packs (similar to frozen açaí). Game changer! *Note: This is not a paid advertisement, I'm just sharing the love! ;)
'Love Pink' Tropical Dragon Fruit Smoothie
raw, vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, sassy and sweet!
This bold, bright fruit smoothie looks beautiful and tastes divine! The hot pink power-player here is pitaya, more commonly known as dragon fruit. Pitaya is ripe with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, such as heart healthy omega-3s found in the seeds, to immune-boosting, skin-glowing, anti-aging vitamin C found in the flesh. This raw vegan and gluten-free delight checks all of the boxes--sip for breakfast or pre- and post-workout!
ingredients (serves 2)
- 4-5 frozen bananas
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 to 1 scoop organic raw vanilla protein powder
- 1 frozen or fresh pink pitaya (dragon fruit)
- water from 1 young Thai coconut (or 1.5 to 2 cups from a bottle/carton)
- optional coconut meat (for added healthy fat)
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into two medium, (or one great big) glass, cheers, and enjoy!
my favorite products:
- Vanilla flavor + Protein: My favorite organic, raw vegan vanilla protein powder is SunWarrior! Use discount code: SW20 for 20% off of any product! A great flavor substitution would be a dash of vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder.
- Coconut water: If you do happen to find a young Thai coconut, I'd highly recommend getting a CocoJack to easily open it! Use the link and/or discount code: EATMOVEREST for 10% off of any purchase!
- Dragon fruit: The frozen organic, raw pitaya (dragon fruit) that I get is PitayaPlus. If you can't get your hands on fresh or frozen dragon fruit, a quarter-inch slice of a red beet will do the trick for color purposes!
Tune In To The Eat.Move.Rest. YouTube Channel!
The "Love Pink" smoothie recipe is on our brand new EatMoveRest YouTube channel! Stay up-to-date by hitting the Subscribe button, give any videos a Thumbs Up if you enjoy them, leave a Comment letting us know what types of content you'd like to see, and Share with your friends and family! See you there! Cheers!
Here's a fun variation I like to make when I'm not on-the-go! Make the same smoothie with half the amount of liquid to achieve a thicker consistency, pour into a bowl, and top with your favorite fruit!
The hubs and I literally spent the last couple of years talking about the what-ifs of entering the YouTube world and then we finally thought, what the hay! This EatMoveRest stuff is our passion, and we want to bring as many friends, family, and followers along for the ride as possible! We're looking forward to brings you an abundance of delicious recipes, as well as workouts, rest & relaxation tools, and life & style advice!
Subscribe to my monthly In The Raw newsletter to stay in the loop and to receive a discount on EatMoveRest apparel! Until next time, I hope you get to go and blend yourself a tall glass of glowing dragon fruit goodness!