Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I think it's safe to say that we all overindulged a little bit! If you're feeling tired and sluggish and your pants are fitting more snug, what you need is a good detox! Chronic inflammation is the root cause of many chronic diseases, as well as general everyday aches and pains, skin problems, bloating, and fatigue.
My Curried Squash Soup is the perfect cleansing dish, made with only plant-based ingredients and is super warming to the body on cold winter nights, thanks to the ginger root! I made this for the first time the other night, and I knew after my first bite that I had to share it--it's seriously my new favorite recipe! If you aren't crazy about ginger, trust me, I wasn't either, but this soup is incredibly delicious! Best part--super quick and easy!
Ginger + Turmeric
Ginger and turmeric have been used as spices and medicinal herbs for centuries in Indian and Asian cultures, and for good reason--both are anti-inflammatory roots that are fantastic at detoxification and healing.
Ginger is commonly used to aid in digestion, ease an upset stomach, reduce nausea and motion sickness, and is also useful for combatting the common cold due to its high level of antioxidants. It is also considered a warming food that may help to elevate the body's core temperature.
While ginger is very potent in flavor, turmeric is very potent in color--both lending to their distinctive presence in most dishes they're added to. Turmeric's bright yellow hue will take over almost any dish, and is due to a component known as curcumin. Like ginger, it is highly anti-inflammatory and contains potential anti-cancer compounds.
Curried Squash soup
vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, nutrient-packed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 kabocha squash (or other squash variety) gutted + cubed
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp fresh grated turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- salt + pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of vegetable broth (or water) to a boil. Remove seeds and skin and chop the squash. Peel and cut the carrots and add to the pot on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, add a splash of vegetable broth to a pan and sautee the onion and garlic on medium-low heat until translucent. Add in ginger, turmeric, and curry powder and stir for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add onion, garlic, and spices to the pot and continue to boil on medium-low until the squash and carrots are cooked through and tender.
- add coconut milk for a creamier soup
- puree/blend half of the soup for a thicker consistency, or the whole pot to make a creamy bisque
- cook up some brown rice and put in the soup or eat as a side
- add a dash of cayenne for extra heat
Gear up and look your best to celebrate the New Year by detoxifying with this plant-powered dish. Not only will this soup cleanse your body, it will also keep you warm through the winter months! Leave a comment and let me know what kind of twist you put on the recipe, and have a very Happy New Year!
* Besides using ginger and turmeric in cooking, try adding one or both to your morning smoothie or juice for an added raw, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant boost!