'Tis The Season
I'm not a big apple-eater...until it's Honeycrisp season! Who's with me?! Their variegated red, green hue, that crisp and juicy first bite, the perfect balance between sweet and tart, what's not to love? This porridge recipe is a seasonal favorite of mine, and goes perfect with a festive cup of cocoa. The best part is, both recipes are only 3 ingredients and can be made in under 5 minutes!
My top three reasons why you should eat seasonal:
- It's the best for your health! Fruits and veggies that are in-season are at their peak ripeness and freshness, and their nutrient content is often much higher!
- It's cheaper! I'm a sucker for fresh berries, but when it's not spring or summertime, whew!, they can get pricey! In-season produce grows in abundance, thus, causing prices to drop--look out for bulk deals and specials!
- It's natural! Mother Nature intended for us to eat specific fruits and veggies at specific times of the year to fulfill our caloric and nutrient needs. Is it any wonder that we eat tons of root veggies to stay grounded in the cold, windy, fall and winter months?
Raw or Cooked?
I'm a huge advocate of eating raw foods--lots of fruits and veggies, and some nuts and seeds, in their natural state for optimal health. That being said, I am not 100% raw. I feel that living in a climate with freezing cold winters, I would be doing my body a disservice by not eating some warming, cooked foods, especially at dinnertime.
For those curious, I tend to recommend eating raw for breakfast, lunch, and snacks in between, and then incorporating a variety of both raw and cooked foods at dinnertime. I have found that I feel best when I drink a fresh fruit and veggie smoothie for breakfast, eat a rainbow salad for lunch, eating fruits (like berries, grapes, bananas in between), and something like a small salad or raw veggies alongside some steamed/roasted sweet potatoes and a whole grain like rice or quinoa for dinner.
The two tasty holiday treats below can be enjoyed raw or heated, depending on your mood and the temp!
Save Your Money + Your Health
A bowl of oatmeal plus a cup of cocoa from your "favorite drive-thru coffee shop" will run you anywhere from $7-$10! For the same cost, or less, you can make a week's worth of healthier and tastier *raw, gluten-free* porridge and *dairy-free, refined-sugar-free* hot cocoa! Simply make a big batch of porridge and chocolate milk and store in the refrigerator to enjoy for a few days--hot or cold!
Raw Vegan Porridge
gluten-free alternative to oats, refined-sugar-free, no artificial sweeteners, only three ingredients!
serves: 1-2 // time: 5min
Step aside, oatmeal--breakfast has a new star player! This 3-ingredient, gluten-free alternative is thick and creamy, rich and dreamy! Apples, bananas, and dates combine to make a nutrient-dense, energy-amping meal that won't cause digestive woes and doesn't require heating! Top with fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, and coconut, and you've got yourself a work of art that will be too pretty to eat, but too irresistible to pass up!
- 3 pitted, Medjool dates
- 2 ripe, speckled bananas
- 1 large, Honeycrisp apple
- Chop and core apple, peel and chop banana, pit dates, and add to food processor.
- Pulse using food processor "S" blade, scrape sides, and pulse a few more times until all ingredients are mixed well, but still have a chunky, oatmeal-like consistency.
- If you don't have a food processor, use a blender with pulse mode.
- Top with nuts, seeds, dried or fresh fruit, coconut flakes, cinnamon, hemp, chia, flax, etc. and enjoy!
- Feeling extra chilly? Try heating your porridge on low on the stovetop for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Warming add-ins: cinnamon and ginger are two of my very favorite "warming" foods that will help to improve blood circulation and potentially elevate body temperature. Add them to either recipe, and throw a dash in your smoothie, as well!
- Protein Boost: SunWarrior Raw Vegan Vanilla/Chocolate Protein Powder (use code: SW20 for 20% off)
Dairy-Free, Frothy Hot Cocoa
dairy-free, refined-sugar-free, no artificial sweeteners, delightfully frothy!
serves: 1 // time: 5min
Enjoy cold, as an energizing, pre- or post-workout antioxidant powerhouse, or heat and sip by the fireplace.
Upon shooting the accompanying YouTube episode for these two favorites, I realized that I had already shared my hot cocoa recipe with all of you on the blog last year, so here's the link!
As Seen On YouTube
Check out the accompanying EatMoveRest YouTube episode for this delicious duo! Be sure to Subscribe to the channel, give this video a Thumbs Up, leave a Comment, and Share with friends and family!
Other Treats + Eats I'm Loving Right Now:
* EatMoveRest.com/Archives for more recipes!
Custom, Hand-made Cutting Boards
The hubby has been hard at work in Santa's Workshop crafting one-of-a-kind cutting boards & servings trays! Visit DustonStanczyk.com/shop for more!
Merry + Bright
It's time to kick back, relax, and enjoy the remaining days leading up to Christmas! My main focus is on slowing down and spending time with loved ones, and I hope that you get to do the same! Until next time, have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year!