Breakfast of Champions
A smoothie is the best way to pack a powerful punch of nutrient-rich superfoods into your diet. I've shared a handful of smoothie recipes on social media and my favorite combination is always evolving, however, I've been using this recipe for breakfast for about the past year, without fail, and I still can't get enough of it! I like to look at diet and nutrition as an experiment, and when I find something that works, I stick to it!
I love this green smoothie for so many reasons!
- It satisfies my sweet tooth without refined sugar.
- It gives me energy for work or a workout.
- The fruit disguises the bitter-tasting greens.
- It eliminates the need for a multi-vitamin.
- A smoothie bowl makes for a fun cereal replacement!
When Mother Nature is your doctor, then food is your medicine!
When you drink this smoothie for breakfast, you could honestly probably eat french fries for the rest of the day and be just fine--not that you should, but just sayin'--it's loaded with the good stuff! If you're not a fan of eating a big bowl of chopped up "yard work," this smoothie might just become your best friend. Spinach, kale, and other dark, leafy greens can be difficult to acquire a taste for if you're not used to eating them, but I can't stress enough how important they are! Whether you're strictly plant-based or a meat-eater, greens should be a staple in all diets.
There's a lot of back-and-forth over how much fruit, grain, starches, meat, dairy, etc. that we should or shouldn't be eating, but one thing all diets and doctors can agree on is that dark, leafy green vegetables are a must! Greens are rich in nitrates, and when consumed, the body converts them into nitrites, and eventually into nitric oxide in the blood, which relaxes the blood vessels and lowers blood pressure. Greens are also highly alkaline, which aids in reducing inflammation in the body. On top of that, they're rich also rich in fiber, folate, carotenoids, vitamins C & K, and minerals like calcium and iron.
Why I love these ingredients, in a nutshell:
- Spinach + Kale - alkalize the body and keep inflammation at bay, rich in protein, iron, calcium
- Frozen Bananas - the perfect base to thicken and sweeten any smoothie
- Pineapple - high in bromelain, which speeds up muscle repair and reduces inflammation
- Green Apple - adds a tart punch - plus, an apple a day, keeps the you-know-who away!
- Ginger + Cinnamon - warming to the body; stabilize blood sugar levels & reduce inflammation
- Spirulina - akalizing, detoxifying, enhances athletic performance, speeds recovery, gives rich green color
- Flax Seeds - high in heart-healthy Omega-3s & fiber
It's important to note that the RDA recommends we only need 8-10% of our calories from protein. While my green smoothie is a great source of this vital macro-nutrient, it's also high in an arguably more important component--FIBER! Less than 3% of Americans suffer from a protein deficiency, while more than 97% are deficient in fiber. *More Info at Forks Over Knives
Lean Green Protein Smoothie
raw vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, oil-free, alkalizing & energizing
Whether it's time for a workout, you just finished one, or you're on your way out the door in the morning, this meal in a glass is the best way to give your body everything it needs...and then some! This protein-packed, nutrient-dense green smoothie will satisfy your sweet tooth without spiking your blood sugar, thanks to it's plant-powered, fiber-rich ingredients. Tropical fruits and tart, green apple mask the flavor of sometimes-bitter greens, allowing them to alkalize your body without giving you a gag reflex!
time: 10 min // serves: 2
- 1.5-2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seed or chia seed
- 1 heaping tablespoon barley grass juice powder or Hawaiian spirulina
- 1 scoop raw SunWarrior Warrior Blend Vanilla Protein (optional)
- 1 tsp moringa powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 large leaves of lacinato/dinosaur kale
- 2-3 handfuls baby spinach
- 1.5 cups frozen or fresh pineapple or mango (fresh pineapple is my favorite!)
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 3 frozen, ripe, speckled, bananas
- 1 small slice of ginger
- 1 small slice of turmeric (or turmeric powder)
- 1-2 cups ice (optional)
- All superfood powders are optional, but the benefits are amazing! If you don't have them all on hand, no worries--the essentials are the whole, fresh greens and fruit!
- Chop and place ingredients into high-speed blender in order listed above and blend until smooth. Feel free to play around with water and ice amounts to achieve desired consistency. Use less water to make a smoothie bowl!
- Pour into 2 glasses (or bowls), cheers, and enjoy! Alternately, you can keep this smoothie all to yourself, saving half in the refrigerator to drink later, or simply cut the recipe quantities in half!
- Protein powder is optional, but I highly recommend it, because it adds that extra satisfying sweet, vanilla flavor that really makes this smoothie pop! SunWarrior is my go-to, because it's completely raw vegan, organic, grain-free, and contains no additives. Use discount code "SW20" for 20% off your purchase!
- Purchasing whole flax seed is important, because when you buy it already ground up, it oxidizes rather quickly, causing nutrient-degradation. A quality, high-speed blender should have no problem blending up fresh, whole flax seeds.
- Experiment with other nutrient-dense superfood add-ins! Check out my blog post on My Top 10 Favorite Superfoods!
What's In A Glass?
Below is a screen shot from Cronometer.com that gives you an idea of just how much protein you're getting from 100% plant-powered sources. I love using this website and app from time-to-time, to check in and make sure that I'm getting everything that I need. As you can see, if you split this recipe in half, you'll be getting around 430 calories and nearly 20 grams of protein--not to mention a plethora of other vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants!
Need More Calories?
Dusty likes to add extra frozen bananas and/or extra protein powder to bump up the calories!
As Seen On YouTube
Catch this recipe on the EatMoveRest YouTube channel and be sure to Subscribe, give it a Thumbs Up, Leave a Comment, and Share with friends and family!
If you're toying with the notion of going plant-based, or just want to take your health to the next level, I challenge you to drink this smoothie for breakfast for 7 days and see how you feel! Don't be afraid to experiment and find a combination that works for you--and when you do, stick with it! No matter what, get those greens in!
For more motivation, inspiration, tips, tricks, and tools, be sure to hit the "Join In" button at the bottom of the page to receive my monthly, In The Raw newsletter!