Red, White, & Blueberries
Hi friends! I hope your Fourth of July weekend is off to a great start! As promised, I'm back with one more quick and simple, nutritious and delicious Red, White, & Blueberry recipe to show your colors this Independence Day! If you missed my last post, you can check it out here!
Fresh strawberries and blueberries are the perfect patriotic ingredients for a Fourth of July dish, but you can't have red and blue without the white! While sliced bananas or apples might pass, they tend to oxidize rather quickly once chopped, and turn brown and not-so-pretty. If you're looking for the perfect crisp, sweet, and juicy salsa to wow your friends with this holiday weekend, try adding something new to your dish!
Try New Things
Jicama, (pronounced hik-uh-muh), is a vegetable that you may not be familiar with, but you might actually enjoy! I like to try new fruits and veggies whenever I get the chance, and this one is definitely unique and versatile! Jicama is also known as a Mexican yam bean or a Mexican turnip and is indigenous to Mexico, Central, and South America. While mainstream grocery stores sometimes carry them, you'll probably have your best luck finding one at a Mexican or Asian market.
This root veggie has a crispy, crunchy texture with a slightly sweet and slightly savory flavor--I liken it to a cross between an apple and a potato. Jicama is typically used in raw dishes and can be a healthy upgrade when sliced thin into chips for scooping, and sticks for dipping. If you're not convinced yet, it's also high in vitamin C, fiber, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron, and relatively low in calories.
Berry Patriotic Jicama Salsa
raw, vegan, gluten-free, the bomb!
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups jicama, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño pepper, chopped and seeded (optional)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- salt to taste
- blue corn tortilla chips and/or romaine lettuce leaves
- Chop all ingredients and place in large bowl.
- Top with lime juice and salt to taste.
- Enjoy by the spoonful, as a dip with chips, or create lettuce boats with romaine lettuce leaves!
Salsa + Style
Nothing goes better with a sweet and spicy salsa than a splash of style!
Whether you're planning to dress up or dress down, here are my picks for the holiday weekend!
- Dress up: It will most likely be hot out, so if you're planning to dress up, opt for something lightweight with a relaxed fit, like this red cotton dress from J.Crew. It pairs perfectly with these J.Crew heels (another recent pair of #shinyponies that I received from my contest winnings!). The starburst on the toe-strap just screams fireworks, and the color combination makes them slightly patriotic, but not in a cheesy way. If I know I'm going to potentially be walking in grass, the chunky heel is much easier to avoid sinking into the mud, and they make my feet a lot less sore by the end of the night. To top it off, add in some bold costume jewelry, like this flower-burst statement necklace from Anthropologie.
- Dress down: If you're planning on getting down and dirty with the kids lighting off fireworks, or just want to feel a little more chill, you can't go wrong with a tank and shorts, like this red and white combo from Gap and American Eagle. A pair of slip-ons is my go-to for shoes, like these red Toms--easy to kick off and go barefoot in the grass or dip in the pool (ahhh summertime!). If you're going to be by some water during the day, a cute hat like this super patriotic Patagonia trucker is perfect. If you pull your hair back, throw on a classic paisley bandana, like this one from Lucky.
- Both ways: If you don't feel like carrying a purse, just bring a small wallet, like this envelope-style card holder from Banana Republic, that goes great with both outfits. And finally, duh, duh , duh, duh! ...my most worn piece of clothing to date--the chambray button-up. This J.Crew staple has gotten me through a lot of cool evenings, chilly restaurants, and downright cold flights. This piece is lightweight, yet it will keep your arms warm, and goes perfect with either outfit! I do not leave home without it!
Have A 'Bomb' Independence Day!
Leave a comment below and let me know if you'd like to see more fashion + style blog posts! Don't forget to sign-up for my In The Raw newsletter for a dose of monthly wisdom and inspiration, and to stay up-to-date on my latest blog posts and announcements!
If you missed the previous blog post, scroll down for more Red, White, & Blueberry goodness!
Until next time, have a fantastic weekend and enjoy the explosions in the sky!