Açaí You, Baby!
Every time the hubby and I go on vacation somewhere, the first thing we do is seek out the nearest juice and smoothie bar. As much as I hate to leave my Vitamix behind, waking up every morning to a fresh, cold-pressed green juice and an Açaí Bowl more than satisfies--plus, it's nice to get a break from having to do it myself!
These super-tasty superfood bowls have taken smoothie shops and juiceries by storm, and for good reason--açaí (pronounced ah-sigh-ee) is chock full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. All that being said, you can bring vacation right to your kitchen with just a few simple ingredients!
- source + location
- pronounced ah-sigh-ee, this superfruit comes from the dark purple berries of a tropical palm tree
- indigenous to Central and South America; commonly harvested from the Amazonian rainforests of Brazil
- contents + benefits
- one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet; contains antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, protein, fiber, and several micronutrients including resveratrol, calcium, magnesium, and iron
- antioxidants improve overall health and attack disease-causing free radicals in the body, great for energy and focus, low-glycemic, low sugar and can help fight off weight gain and combat cravings, protein and fiber help to keep fuller longer
- amount + uses
- 1 tbsp powder or 1-2 frozen packs
- mixed in with smoothies or "nice cream," this makes an antioxidant-packed tropical treat; beverages, and desserts
- taste + fun facts
- creamy and tart berry flavor with chocolate undertones
- harvest and sales of the crop generates income for native communities and is a great alternative to deforestation and habitat destruction
For more info on Superfoods, check out:
Free radicals are caused by our exposure to environmental toxins and pollutants, like cigarette smoke, alcohol consumption, excessive sun exposure, smog, chemicals in household cleaners and personal care products--even stress can cause inflammation and oxidation to occur in the body. When we consume a diet rich in nutrient-dense foods like fruits and vegetables, we are getting a healthy dose of antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals. This process helps to fight off illness and disease, and combats premature aging. The ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) of a substance measures its antioxidant level, and subsequent free radical-fighting ability.
Açaí most definitely earns its place as a superfood, due to its super high ORAC score:
- Banana: 795
- Spinach: 1,687
- Red Delicious Apple: 4,275
- Wild Blueberries: 9,621
- Açaí Berry: 102,700
Amp up your antioxidants with an Açaí Bowl and reap all of the health benefits that come along with it! No need break the bank at the local juicery to indulge in this sweet treat when you can make it right at home!
Antioxidant Açaí Bowl
Açaí bowls are all the rage! Most juice bars and smoothie shops come fully equipped with an assortment of variations of these delectable superfood smoothie bowls. It's easier than ever to treat yourself anytime at home, with a few simple ingredients! Açaí is extremely high in anti-aging phytonutrients and disease-fighting antioxidants and will give you that extra oomph to get you through your day without the need for refined sugar and stimulants! Pure, simple, whole, and delicious!
raw vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, antioxidant-packed!
serves: 2 // time: 10 min
- Place all frozen ingredients into high-speed blender and top with liquid of choice.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 2 bowls and top with fruit and other whole-food ingredients--some of my favorites are bananas, mangos, kiwis, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, dried mulberries, and coconut flakes! Enjoy!
- If using fresh young coconut water, check out the CocoJack to easily crack open your coconut! Use discount code EATMOVEREST for 10% off your purchase!
- macronutrients: 337 calories per serving // 68.9g carbs // 5.4g protein // 7g fat
- micronutrients: 41% vitamin A // 123% vitamin C // 75% fiber // 19% folate // 15% iron // 12% calcium
As Seen On YouTube
Join me in the kitchen to watch me whip up an Antioxidant Açaí Bowl! Be sure to Subscribe to the EatMoveRest channel, hit the bell symbol to turn on Notifications to stay up-to-date on new videos, Like the video by giving it a thumbs up, show some love and leave us a Comment, and Share with family and friends!
Superfood, Super You!
Satisfy your sweet tooth while doing your body good with an antioxidant-rich Açaí Bowl--perfect for breakfast or lunch, pre- or post-workout!
Show some love! Be sure to take a snapshot of your smoothie bowl creation and tag me on Instagram by using the hashtag #EatMoveRest!