Planes, Trains & Automobiles
It's summertime, and that means we're all running around to kids' sporting events and activities, jet-setting, road-tripping, and doing anything but eating a nutritious, home-cooked meal. Am I right?!
Dusty and I just got back from Hawaii, and it was a breeze to eat clean there--vegan restaurants, smoothie shacks, and juice shops galore, and there was no shortage of fresh tropical fruit stands! But what about when we road trip to a family member's wedding in small-town Nebraska? Or vacation somewhere that's not-so-plant-eater-friendly?!
Over the years, Dusty and I have learned how to navigate it all (without any embarrassment, guilt, or shame), because where there's a will, there's a way--and if your will is to be happy and healthy, 24/7, 365, then you better believe there's a way to do it!
7 Healthy Vegan Travel Tips
1. Keep Calm + Carry-on
- Bring washed and fresh-cut fruits and veggies with you no matter where you go! TSA will allow you to bring whatever fresh produce you would like onto an airplane, as long as it's clearly visible what it is. Our friend Robby, @mindfuldiabeticrobby even brings an entire box of produce as his carry-on--now that's commitment!
- Dusty and I love to bring our wide-mouth ball mason jars and fill them with berries, and then bring a container filled with greens to munch on, like romaine leaves, celery stalks, and cucumber spears. Whether we're road-tripping to Grandma and Grandpa's or out running errands, we don't leave home without our 'fast fruit' ...or, should I say, 'weapons of mass nutrition.'
- It may sound funny, but I've been known to 'carry-on' a whole or half watermelon with me wherever I go in the summertime! It's the perfect hydrating, warm weather snack!
2. Mix It Up
- Make a trail mix! If you're on a longer flight, fresh produce may not cut it--and that's where nuts, seeds, grains, and dried fruit come in handy! We love to mix up a bag full of walnuts, almonds, hemp seeds, dried goji berries, dried mulberries, and pitted dates. These foods are more calorie-dense, and will keep much longer!
- Sometimes we make enough trail mix to last us through our entire trip. Another option is to buy a box of cereal, mixed nuts, and dried fruit when you get to your destination, and make trail mix that way!
- Our favorite option, of course, is our Raw Vegan Granola recipe!
3. Pick Sides
- Now this one's going against something we've all been told not to do growing up--but we want you to pick sides! When you're out to dinner on vacation, or you're at a small-town steakhouse with your grandparents, the panic sets in. The menu reads: beef on pork on chicken on cheddar on eggs on bacon with a generous helping of oil and grease--yikes! Have no fear--look for the sides; you're bound to find some steamed veggies, wild rice, maybe even a baked potato! If you order those 3 sides, you've got yourself a nutritious and delicious, plant-powered meal!
- Don't forget about the salads! Ask your waiter for a fresh salad with the dressing on the side--or better yet--request lemon wedges or balsamic for your 'dressing!'
- Don't care to belly up at the bar--that's okay, who needs the extra calories and the hangover anyway? If everyone around me is drinking, I order a club soda with lime--it looks like a cocktail, it's exciting to the tastebuds, and nobody will hassle you if it's got fizz and a lime wedge on the rim! ;)
4. Don’t Worry—Be Happy
- This one's a two-for-one! First, use the HappyCow app or website to find veg-friendly, vegetarian, and vegan restaurants nearby! Dusty and I even found success using this app in Italy! On one occasion, we stumbled upon a vegan restaurant that wasn't on the app, so I took the liberty of snapping some foodie photos and added it! Feel free to do the same if you stumble upon a hidden gem--it's a great way to benefit your plant-powered community!
- The second part to this tip, is to remind yourself that perfection is overrated! Maybe you go to dinner and order some rice and veggies, but the whole dish is slathered in oil. Instead of beating yourself up, just remind yourself that you're doing your best, and that you're on vacation! Travel, adventure, and exploration is meant to push you outside of our comfort zone, so be comfortable with being a bit uncomfortable, and the trip will go much more smoothly! Don't worry--be happy! ;)
5. Stock Up
- When you arrive at your final destination, get on Google Maps and find the nearest grocery store or farmers' market and stock up! Get yourself some pre-cut fruits and veggies, and fruits that are easy to throw in a beach bag or backpack, like bananas, apples, and oranges! Other great grocery store items to keep on hand are whole grain crackers, hummus, and microwavable veggie steam bags.
- Another insider tip is to check out AirBnB. Dusty and I love staying at residences instead of hotels, because you can usually get more bang for your buck, and you'll most likely get a full kitchen! We prefer to have a full-size refrigerator and stovetop so we can buy the typical grocery items we'd buy at home, and cook for ourselves! We were even crazy enough to bring our mini NutriBullet blender with us to Italy and Hawaii, and enjoyed fresh smoothies every morning on vacation--not to mention, it saved us money!
6. Pit Stop Quickies
- If you're on a road trip and nobody else wants to stop where you want to stop, and they're in a hurry to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible *cough* Dusty on the annual Canada fishing trip with my dad, G-pa, and uncles *cough,* then you've got to think quick! Gas stations almost always have fresh bananas, apples, and oranges, and if not, your next best bet is to opt for nuts and/or pretzels--that is, if you haven't equipped yourself with our Raw Vegan Granola! ;)
- If you're lucky enough to be traveling with the ladies, they'll probably want to stop for coffee, and/or a nicer restroom facility--hello Starbucks! If you make a pitstop at a coffee shop, opt for herbal tea, instead of something caffeinated, which contributes to jet lag. If you're hungry, try the oatmeal, some pre-cut fruit or veggies, or a bag of nuts!
- Annnd, if you're extra lucky, your pit stop might sell fresh-cracked coconuts to sip on! ;)
7. Ask And You Shall Receive
- This one's a biggie! When Dusty and I flew to Italy last year, we asked the flight attendant if they had a vegan dinner option, and they actually did! They brought us an entire vegan Indian meal--our favorite! She did go on to warn us, though, that it was rare to get that lucky, and she advised us to always specify under 'dietary preferences, restrictions, and/or allergies' when booking your plane tickets, and to call ahead to the airline to see if they can accommodate.
- Finally, when you go out to dinner on vacation, simply ask and you shall receive! This one's easier said than done. For the longest time, Dusty and I both felt extremely uncomfortable placing our 'special orders' in front of our family and friends, but to our surprise, most of the time, they end up asking what we got and say something like, 'I wish I would have gotten that, too!' Now, both of our moms simply let us order and then they say, 'I'll have what they're having!' You've got to be bold, be brave, walk the walk, and fearlessly lead by example! You will gain respect, and what's more, you'll get exactly what you wanted to eat, and your body will thank you for it!
As Seen On YouTube
Be sure to watch our Top 7 Healthy Vegan Travel Tips on YouTube to catch a glimpse at some of our recent and past travels! If you haven't already, join the EatMoveRest Fam and Subscribe to our channel, turn on Notifications to get alerts when we post new content, Like our videos if you enjoy them, leave us some love in the Comments, and Share with family and friends!
Whether you're about to go on holiday, or you're just getting home, a detox is always a good idea, in order to look and feel your very best!
If you follow me on Instagram, then you may know that I recently teamed up with Omega, the popular juicer brand, to develop 5 Detox Smoothie Recipes--yes--smoothies! Omega also has an amazing lineup of blenders, that in my humble opinion, blend nice cream and smoothies better than none other! While they are an investment, their pricing is far more reasonable than some of their competitors'.
**If you're interested in a more intense detox option, try my Juice Feast below!
Two words that have helped me to make the best possible choices for my health and happiness are, Remember Tomorrow. If you're battling temptation, think about how you will feel tomorrow. On the same token, if you don't make the best decision, remember that tomorrow is a new day to start fresh and be a better you!
Whether you've got a trip planned, or you're keeping busy close to home this summer, be sure to #EatMoveRest Your Best! Use the hashtag on Instagram and share you're experiences with us!
One last thing--be sure to check out our upcoming March 2019 7-Day Costa Rica Retreat for the ultimate healthy vegan getaway!